|Creator:||Peri Sack, Marianne|
|Abstract:||Anniversary booklets, clippings, programs regarding the Misericordia Society (Societa di Mutuo Soccorso Maria SS. Della Misericordia). Included is also information pertaining to Caesare Avigni, long time editor of "Il Pensiero", an Italian American newspaper published in St. Louis since 1904. (Avigni wrote about the Society in Il Pensiero in 1945.)|
|Quantity:||2 linear inches|
Collection acquired from Marianne Peri Sack of Saint Louis, Missouri in August 2001. Additional material was donated by Gary Mormino of Tampa, Florida in 2001.
The Misericordia Society was founded in Saint Louis, Missouri, in 1920 by a group of Italian immigrants from Sicily as a mutual aid association (chartered in 1921). The Society was headquartered at the St. Charles Boromeo Church, the first Italian church in the city. The name of the Society comes from Maria Santissima Della Misericordia (Our Lady of Mercy), a popular patron saint among the Sicilian members of the community.
The Misericordia Society, St. Louis, Missouri collection is available for public research.
The Misericordia Society, St. Louis, Missouri collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The Misericordia Society, St. Louis, Missouri Records, Italian American Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
Back to all finding aids in IHRC VITRAGE.