|Creator:||International Institute of St. Louis (Mo.)|
|Abstract:||Records (1919-1960) of the St. Louis International Institute include historical overviews, by-laws, constitutions, and articles of incorporation, minutes of the Committee, Advisory Council, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors, monthly and annual reports of the Executive Secretary, Director and Associate Director, staff and personnel records, annual reports and records of annual meetings, statistical reports on services, membership materials, financial records, programs, and projects, materials pertaining to specific groups, English and citizenship classes, community agencies and resources such as ACNS, publicity materials, miscellany,language and art class materials, children's classes, photographs, and case records.|
|Quantity:||17 linear ft.|
|Language:||Mainly in English.|
The St. Louis, Missouri, International Institute was established in 1919 under the direction of Letitia Fyffe; it was under the auspices of the YWCA from 1920 on. Surveys of St. Louis' approximately 13% foreign population had established a need for organized outreach to the immigrants there. Conflict soon developed in differences of outlook and procedure between the YWCA and the Institute, and in 1923, the Institute separated from the YWCA and became an agency of the St. Louis Community Fund. However, some contact was maintained with the YWCA until 1929. The Institute provided casework, education, and recreation services. During the Depression of the 1930s, services were curtailed by financial problems. The cutback in programs was partially alleviated by government funding and staff from the Works' Projects Administration. During the Depression, cooperative efforts between the Institute and ethnic communities were manifested by Christmas Folk Festivals, International Arts and Crafts Exhibits, and the International Folk Festival of 1934. From 1935-1937, a branch was active in the Italian American section of Fairmont Hill. During World War II and the years following, efforts were concentrated on resettlement of refugees and war brides. Between 1950 and 1960, recreational group activities figure prominently in records of the Institute. In 1955, the Institute became affiliated with the American Council for Nationalities Service.
The International Institute of St. Louis, Missouri collection is available for public research.
The International Institute of St. Louis, Missouri collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The International Institute of St. Louis, Missouri Records, General/Multiethnic Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
Related collections at the IHRC are Records of the American Council for Nationalities Services as well as records of individual International Institutes in Biddleford-Saco (Maine); St. Paul (Minnesota); Buffalo (New York); Lewiston (Maine); McKeesport (Pennsylvania); New Haven (Connecticut); Niagara Falls (New York); St. Louis (Missouri); Baltimore (Maryland); and Jersey City (New Jersey).
|Young Women's Christian associations--Missouri--Saint Louis.|
|Social settlements--Missouri--Saint Louis.|
|Social work with immigrants--Missouri--Saint Louis.|
|Refugees--Services for--Missouri--Saint Louis.|
Back to all finding aids in IHRC Archives.