|Abstract:||Sheet music, photos, theater programs, performance reviews and descriptions, vocal music written for a male quartet, biographical information.|
|Quantity:||1 linear ft.|
Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, NJ), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), and the IHRC in March 2009. Gristel Ramler and Birgit Nurme of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.
03.12.1911- 17.10.2004 New York, USA Born in Kursi, Tartumaa, Estonia; until 1937 named Rudolf Undritz. Wife: Imbi Alari (ne Rosalia-Emilie Redikson, married in 07.1948, Blomberg, Germany). Opera singer (tenor), actor. Fleed to Siberia in 1916 because of the WWI and returned to Estonia in 1923. Emigrated to Lübeck, Germany in 1944 and from there to the U.S.
Collection is described in 14 folders:
1. Mostly copies of correspondence with Bernard Kangro 1934-1944, handwritten original notes (contains data about the theatres Vanemuise and Estonia)
2. Clippings of reviews, theatre programmes from 1935
3. Collected materials about Paul Tammeveski and the male quartet "Heli 4"(copies), correspondence with P. Tammeveski, concert programmes of the male quartet (1945-1947), two original photos of the male quartet in Germany [1944-1948], memoires by R. Alari, copies form newspapers
4. Programmes of concerts, reviews, notes, correspondence in U.S.
5. Biography and "Undritzite suguvõsa ja selle järeltulijad" (The family Undritz, includes family-tree) by A. Oskar Undritz (in Estonian)
6. Clippings and copies about reviews, programmes (1934-1944)
7. Miscellaneous (clippings, copies)
8. Personal documents (1947) diary (1944-1946)
9. Handwritten song lyrics of the male quartet "Heli 4" in Germany
10. Miscellaneous (clippings, copies, prints, programmes)
11. Materials about R. Alari collected by Olga Berendsen
13. Prints (publications, magazines, pamphlets)
14. Several music sheets (handwritten, prints)
The Alari, Rudolf collection is available for public research.
The Alari, Rudolf collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The Alari, Rudolf Papers, Estonian American Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
Personal collection in Estonian Theatre and Music Museum: T570