|Abstract:||Correspondence, newspaper clippings, concert program brochures, pamphlets, post cards, photographs.|
|Quantity:||5 linear in.|
|Language:||Estonian, English, German|
Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, NJ), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), and the IHRC in March 2009. Gristel Ramler and Birgit Nurme of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.
20.07.1912 - 2003, Washington Olev Berendsen left Estonian at the end of WWII, spent time in the DP camps in Germany, resettled in the United States. Originally received law degree and served as Head of the Red Cross in Estonia. Later also active singer, involved in the New York Male Chorus
Collection is organized into 14 folders:
1. Biographical documents: Passports, certificates.
2. Materials about the 80th jubilee: Greeting cards, speech form E. Jaaguste, guestlist.
3. Diploma thesis "Piiritusmonopoli seadus", Tartu 1939 (copy)
4. "Legal Requirements for Legal Transfer of Securities", research by Olev Berendsen
5. Speech by Olev Berendsen (manuscript), August 1950, Fremont, Ohio
6. Personal correspondence (1935 - 2000)
7. Collected materials about Olev Berenden's family: Newspaper clippings, copies.
8. Materialis about the Estonian community and congregation in Lakewood: Several membership lists, newspaper clippings, photos.
9. Collected materials about Estonian archives in US (Lakewood), 1983 - 2000: Correspondence, several duplicates, plan of archive building in Lakewood.
10. Collected materials about the Fraternity Sakala and the New York Estonian Male Chorus
11. Materials about culture of Estonian diaspora: Newspaper clipings, copies, newspapers, presentation by Asta Villmann about Kalju Lepik, Bernard Kangro and August Mälk (1980), newspaper clippings about the Baltia art exhibition.
12. Collected materials about Estonia and Estonians, ca 1960 - 2001: Copies and newspaper clippings.
13. Blank postcards
14. Newspaper "Sturgis News": No 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and last souvenir edition (31.05 - 08.06.1950), issued on the travel by ship from DP camp to the USA.
The Berendsen, Olev collection is available for public research.
The Berendsen, Olev collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The Berendsen, Olev Papers, Estonian American Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota